Saturday, September 1, 2012
Rice and Republicans Condemn Politics of Envy
[T]he essence of America, what really unites us, is not nationality or ethnicity or religion. It is an idea. And what an idea it is. That you can come from humble circumstances and you can do great things, that it does not matter where you came from, it matters where you are going.
My fellow Americans, ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have never believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have never been jealous of one another and never envious of each others’ successes.
Although Republicans often betray the ideal of individualism that Rice forthrightly expresses here, it is nevertheless heartening to hear her and other Republicans condemn the left’s politics of envy and praise individual success.
Republicans, make this your MO.
- Individualism vs. Collectivism: Our Future, Our Choice
- Political “Left” and “Right” Properly Defined
Creative Commons Image: World Economic Forum
Posted in: Individual Rights and Law
- Next Post: Cordair Fine Arts Hosts Fundraiser for Lipana
- Previous Post: Paul Ryan’s Altruism Leads to His Statist Measures
If you enjoy TOS Blog please make a donation to keep us blogging
- Announcements (152)
- Events (36)
- Ayn Rand and Objectivism (74)
- Business and Economics (61)
- Education and Pedagogy (22)
- Environmentalism (42)
- Foreign Policy and War (147)
- History (53)
- Individual Rights and Law (462)
- Philosophy (79)
- Ethics (16)
- Presidential Candidates (69)
- Productivity (15)
- Psychology (4)
- Religion (99)
- Romance (2)
- Science and Technology (86)
- Sports (11)
- The Arts (31)
Ideas presented in posts on TOS Blog are those of the authors of the posts and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Objective Standard. TOS Blog is powered by WordPress.